Congregation Shaarei Shamayim, Temple Beth El, and Beth Israel Center are pleased to sponsor our fourth Introduction to Judaism course, which will be taught by a consortium of local rabbis and educators. We will cover a wide range of topics concerning the fundamentals of Jewish thought, history, and practice over the 16 sessions that we spend together.
Class begins on Thursday evening, January 18, and runs until May 17. It meets from 7:00-9:00 p.m. and will be held for eight sessions at Beth Israel Center, 1406 Mound Street, and eight sessions at Temple Beth El, 2702 Arbor Drive. In addition to the Thursday class sessions, we will organize special excursions around Jewish Madison.
This course is open to anyone who is interested in learning about the basics of Judaism. It can stand alone as an adult education course or it can serve as a pre-requisite for conversion to Judaism. Often intermarried couples take this course together.
Tuition payment is due in full one week prior to the start of class. A minimum of twelve students is required for the class to take place. Course fees are as follows:
- Member of Madison synagogue: $100 per person, $175 per couple
- Non-member: $150 per person, $250 per couple
- Undergrad or graduate student: $50
To register, please:
1) Fill out the online form by clicking on the red button, and
2) Mail in a check made out to Shaarei Shamayim with a memo that says "Intro to Judaism." Our mailing address is P.O. Box 5081, Madison, WI 53705.
We suggest you either purchase or borrow the following books to supplement the time we spend together in class:
- Living a Jewish Life by Anita Diamant and Howard Cooper
- The Jewish Holidays by Michael Strassfeld
- Finding God by Rifat Sonsino and Daniel Syme
- A Short History of the Jewish People by Raymond P. Scheindlin
Please view this course schedule for a list of dates, topics, and locations.
Questions? Please contact Joy Zotalis at email@example.com or 257-2944.